Sunday, July 24, 2011

Organization and Sale Animals

This weekend was a weekend of organization, regrouping and redirecting some things with the farm. Nothing 'huge' I guess, but stuff got done, in part, to my friend Tylor and to my Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Ell. Ell is a fun girl to watch work the sheep and I was able to bring the sheep in to the barn and sorting pens without running, yelling or injuring myself or the 4-wheeler (shorter grass in these pastures).

I took the first round of evaluated ram lambs and mature ewes to the sale barn today. I dewormed everyone for liver flukes and tape worms given the extremely wet summer we are having for the 2nd year. Its the first time I've wormed them all blanket style (that means everyone) but I think it was for the best. All but two sheep had dark red or dark pink eye lids the two that didn't, went to the auction.

I evaluated all lambs. Ram lambs were checked for two testes (all passed!), good bites, good flesh, and breed typical traits: fluke shaped tails, bright and alert expressions, good horns (or lack of horns), wool on cheeks and poll. And of course the fleece type that I prefer, the 4-6" crimpy UK style fleece of the 1927 standard.

There are two black ewe lambs that will have a longer 5-7" fleece with a bit more tip than I prefer, but they are solidly built ewe lambs, nice growth and condition, and good conformation. Delivery to Jefferson is possible. I feel they still fit the 'diversity' of our standard but are not extreme, and are more typical of most of the intermediate fleeced sheep.

WhitePine Festive Ale - black ewe lamb - Sire: WhitePine Roman (F1 Orion) x Dam: WhitePine Festus (Jazz x ShelteringPines Fleur de Lis. She could carry spots and moorit. Very typey ewe.

WhitePine Rare Vas - black ewe lamb - Sire: WhitePine Barnabas (F1 Orion F2 Timothy) x Dam: WhitePine Rush (F2 Orion). Just as square as the above ewe. Would make a great pair of ewe lambs. Slightly related but different points as well.

Ram lambs: All have good bites, fully equipped ram parts. Nice horns (where applicable). Fleeces are typical of the style I like, UK type crimpy, soft and even fleeces.


White Pine Salvator - gray katmoget horned ram. Carries spots. FirthofFifth Nekomis x WhitePine Salmone. F3/F3 Jericho.

WhitePine Kaliber - gray katmoget polled ram. F2 Jamie F2 Jericho. WhitePine Levi x FirthofFifth Koosi. could carry moorit and carries solid.

WhitePine Nastro Azzuro - white horned ram - F2 Orion F4 Jericho. WhitePine Roman x WhitePine Neriah (Blues x Nirvana). Neriah is my best ewe and this lamb does not disappoint.

WhitePine Radler - black scurred ram - F3 Jericho F4 Dillon. FirthofFifth Nekomis x FirthofFifth Rahu (Forrest daughter). I'm planning on showing him in Jefferson and he'll be available for sale anytime from now until then, I just want to show him.

WhitePine Manchester United - gray katmoget  horned. WhitePine Caiphas (F1 Holly) x Owl Hill Miss Lilly (F1 Holly, F2 Orion). He has a small krunet on the forehead.

WhitePine Back Fin - black horned. WhitePine Caiphas (F1 Holly) x WhitePine Bethany (F1 Orion x Lambo!)

Manchester and Fin are late lambs so they may NOT be ready to breed ewes this fall.

I also have a black fully horned ram out of WhitePine Roman (F1 Orion) x ShelteringPines Nirvana. He could carry the horned ewe gene, is nicely conformed and growthy, but does not feel as fine as my other lambs. He was born with a dog coat, but its starting to come in crimpy at the skin.

please inquire for any further information.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I thought I had my sale list all done, but my lambs have changed so much this year, that I stopped trying to make up my mind. Now I just have to decide who goes to Jefferson...aaarrgghh.
Definitely Cadillac! lol

A long time coming!

 It has been a long time. Too long in fact. We lost access to our farm website and ebonwald website when WEBS.COM was closed by VistaPrint. ...