Wednesday, April 29, 2015

we've hit another record - photo heavy

 We have had over 100 lambs born at 'Summer Camp' so far, with just a half dozen left to go. We used a CVM ram on some of our Mules, the BFLs, the Cormo cross, and 13 Shetlands, as well as Cynthia's ewes. The results were, with just one exception, spectacular. I can't wait to see how they grow on her grass.

I personally had about 70 purebred Shetlands born there. I would say, overall I received what I asked for (how does that even happen), but still did not get a nice crimpy gulmoget lamb, or Ag gray lambs. I did however get some Musket lambs and the 3 ewe lambs i got are all staying. I plan on keeping at least one ram lamb, but the others, should they warrant the quality they look now, will be available sometime this summer.

I do not dock the tails on the crosses, so they are easy to see. They are also all badgerface. Interestingly i had exactly half of my purebred shetlands born this year, also were of that marking (katmoget in Shetland terms). I am so happy I have so many to choose from.

Believe it or not I also got a few lovely birth coats on some black based lambs. Whether they turn out to be as nice as i hope, we shall see as the fleece comes in, but I am really hopeful.

I continue to push for horned rams, so any polled rams will be offered for sale, if they are of the quality I like. Their mothers, also, no matter which they are, will be offered for sale. I know i have several Polled ewes, and they are some of my finest, but they will be available. With the amount of quality lambs I have hopes of keeping, the polled ewes will be a no brainer for me to move on to flocks that can appreciate them for their polled gene.

I am headed to Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival tomorrow. It will be my first time at that event and I cannot wait to see the sheep shows and see old friends!






































No comments:

A long time coming!

 It has been a long time. Too long in fact. We lost access to our farm website and ebonwald website when WEBS.COM was closed by VistaPrint. ...