Monday, August 27, 2007

MFF

A few weekends back I had the pleasure of roadtripping with Becky Utecht and Kim Nikolai to Allegan, Michigan for the annual Michigan Fiber Festival. We left St Paul about 4am and drove straight to Allegan. I couldn't believe that the 9 hour trip seemed to only take 45 minutes as we all had a lot to say and enjoyed the discussions that ensued.

Friday evening we went out to supper with a huge group of Shetland breeders and got to meet many new faces. I was able to meet Gail Former the current president of NASSA. Poor Gail was left behind when it was time for supper because Stephen Rouse and I were so busy talking and he forgot to pick her up for supper. Fortunately Gail did find the restaurant and we were all able to laugh a lot about the mix up.

We all stayed up rather late (considering Becky and Kim and I had been up since 2 or 3 am that morning) talking sheep and it was an early morning on Saturday as well.

I was able to help hold Blue-Faced Leisters for Mark and Brenda Lelli and was even thrown into the ring a few times to help them show. It was a bit different than showing dogs but it was much more laid back. I enjoyed myself immensely! With all the showing that went on that day I was unable to see the vendors much as I was constantly in the sheep barn meeting new shepherds and their sheep.

Saturday night was the annual pig roast at the Ludlam farm and was able to meet even more people there. The food was great and the company wonderful but we were all tired and headed back to the house we were all staying at around 10pm. I was up until 3am talking sheep with Stephen and up again at 7am!

A few more hours running around talking sheep with other breeders and it was time to head back. With new sheep in tow for all of us (Becky and Kim and I) and we headed back in the constant rain and flooding with a great weekend behind us full of new friends and old, laughter and more knowledge on the Shetlands.

Thanks to all those whom I met at MFF weekend and I look forward to next year!

1 comment:

stephen rouse said...

Very much enjoyed your visit Garrett! I hope you can come back next year!

A long time coming!

 It has been a long time. Too long in fact. We lost access to our farm website and ebonwald website when WEBS.COM was closed by VistaPrint. ...