Friday, March 14, 2008

Under the Old Oak Tree


After my emotional morning, I had to go sit with the mature girls. Watching them be gluttons and eat as fast as their mouths can move, somehow gives me a feeling of comfort? :)

Just sitting and waiting for them to come close to say hi, or to see if there is more food magically appearing in my hand, seems to pick my spirits up. I realize death is a part of life, and both are a part of farming. I've grown up having to deal with it since I can remember. Most of the time it gets better with age, sometimes it doesn't.

While sitting there watching the vacuuming up of the grass hay by the mature girls, I was able to see some of them had obvious udders. I could SEE them. Even with their full fleeces. The one with the largest udder is Cori, a soft black primitive, double coated girl that is bred to Jazz. I think the fleece type from the single x primitive will hopefully give me a nice soft intermediate fleece to work with. I tend to favor the intermediate but again, realize there is place for all fleece types. Cori at age 5 had a micron of 24, so soft indeed! Again I must wait to see the results of this years' fleece samples. I'm excited to say the least!

Sunday we will be moving cows to their calving pen and adding loads of round straw bales for them to lay on, as well as getting the jugs ready for the girls. Tomorrow i speak at a Horticulture Day two of the four sessions about pruning. I normally go to LEARN things but I guess this year they wanted me to teach. I think there are a hundred people more wise and more experienced than I to talk about this subject but I guess they will not change their mind...

No comments:

A long time coming!

 It has been a long time. Too long in fact. We lost access to our farm website and ebonwald website when WEBS.COM was closed by VistaPrint. ...