Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hopeful

Well I've taken fleece samples, trimmed hooves, vaccinated and checked udders on the AI girls (and everyone else). My ground breedings are not due until after April 20th, when I will be home from the Cardigan Nationals. Its not fair to have my dad checking for lambs while I"m away like last year!

I checked udders on the AI girls and 8 of the girls are for sure growing udders now at a daily rate almost. A 9th is more than likely bred, but her udder is not as large. The 10th more than likely is NOT bred to AI, as she has no udder at all, a lot more like the girls that are due after April 20th.

Another ewe that is due anytime is Sheltering Pines Nirvana. She is bred to Jazz's twin brother, Winterime Blues. Her udder is as large as the AI girls so I'm thinking she is due any day as well.

For those that have forgotten who I AI'ed:

Justalit'l Chloe - fawn katmoget (homozygous katmoget) F2 Minder was bred to Greenholme Holly. I'm hoping for polled genetics here!

RiverOaks Lucy - gray katmoget was bred to Willowcroft Jamie. I"m pretty excited for this potential

Justalit'l Shasta - Ag flecket horned ewe was bred to Campaign Timothy. This girl is as big as house...I wouldn't doubt triplets in this one!

Underhill Ulla - moorit F2 Jamie ewe was bred to Shirehill Minder. I'm expecting fawn katmogets or muskets from this breeding.

Heights Orion was bred to the following ewes:
Underhill Peep - F2 Greyling, F2 Jamie musket ewe
FirthofFifth Evidence of Autumn - mioget ewe (repeat breeding of Aman)
FirthofFifth Rooibos - fawn ewe
RYL Rachildas - white illget ewe. Last year bred to Aman F1 Orion son gave me gorgeous lambs with soft soft flece. I"m hoping bred directly to Orion that they are knock outs. Expecting only White or Ag lambs (she is homozygous black and Awt/Ag)
Justalit'l Black Lambo - black ewe (homozygous black) who when Stephen has her, was bred to Roban Dillon and produced two very gorgeous rams. Let's hope for the same :)

WHEW! Its nearly 45 degrees outside and i'm out in a T-shirt and shoes (no winter boots) and no winter cap! I just rotated the girls into new paddocks that no one has been in since last May. The sheep from Lori and Stephen have come out of quarantine and I'm out now to take photos!

No comments:

A long time coming!

 It has been a long time. Too long in fact. We lost access to our farm website and ebonwald website when WEBS.COM was closed by VistaPrint. ...