Friday, March 6, 2009

Mad at OFA

Having only done Prelims on Oliver many moons ago, I tried to read the submission form clearly that my vets gave me so I could make sure that all my results would be posted online for Oliver, whether passing or not. Ell's prelims I wasn't super concerned if she did not pass them as I would be more prepared for her official results that way (emotionally anyway). We did not have Oliver's prelims posted to the website either. This is copied from the form:

_____________________
Authorization to Release* Abnormal* Results
I hereby authorize the OFA to release the results of its radiographic
evaluation of the animal described on this application to the
public if the results are *abnormal*_______________ (initials of
registered owner).
________________________________________________________________________

I assumed this was for abnormal only (my asterisks for emphasis)!

I figured if she passed, they would automatically get put onto the database. After several phone calls with a very unhelpful and crabby lady (who I won't mention but if you've had to call there you will know who I'm talking about ) and several emails on my part showing her what I was given, she responded with this:




For preliminary Hip and Elbow results to be posted to the website the
application must meet the follow three requirements:

1. Only IF the owner initialed the authorization block to release all
results (including abnormal results).

2. The dog must at least 12 months of age at the time of radiograph

3. The dog must be permanently identified via microchip or tattoo
When you redo for the formal evaluation you can correct the issue.




Gee. Isn't that nice of her? I also thought there was a form online that I found on OFA that I could sign to change the status of them to APPROVE them for the online database. She told me there was no such thing, but I'm going to look again anyway. Ugh. I wish my vet would have told me about this rule that isn't even on the application itself but on a seperate sheet of paper my vet forgot to give me. They then told me they don't usually do Prelims, just the official OFA.

So in other words i'm not 'hiding' anything! :) I've already posted the copy of the prelims that her hips are Good, elbows Normal. And its not even official so when she is two in October we will have them redone officially and those are the ones that count :)

Atleast I'm more educated for Mitcham and Justice's prelims now :) ha ha ha OY!

3 comments:

penni said...

Garrett, I swear OFA is related to IRS -- same communication problems and same control over your future!

Lybertygirl said...

Your lucky - When I sent in Lego's X-rays several years ago -OFA LOST them. I had to re-submit, at my own expense! My VET was so pissed he called and raised Cane with the head of OFA. They "graciously" decided not to charge me again. It worked out - he came out a good - but jeeesh what an ordeal.

coopercreek said...

I guess I've been lucky. I haven't had any problems, but I have only done one dog. I emailed them about how to get the CHIC # because Cooper had all the required tests done, and she emailed me back and told me to send her a copy of the PRA results, so I did, and he got the CHIC # right away.

Now I hope I haven't jinxed anything for when Carly gets done.

A long time coming!

 It has been a long time. Too long in fact. We lost access to our farm website and ebonwald website when WEBS.COM was closed by VistaPrint. ...