Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Goals

As I sit and watch the pregnant ewes...with the little lambs kicking from time to time and making their moms totally uncomfortable, short of breath and walking funny, I wonder things. A lot of things.

Did I make the right breeding choice for 'so and so'?

What if she has twin rams?

What if something happens and I'm not here?

Should I breed her again or move her out?

And when the lambs come I think many things:

why couldn't there be more girls? or a different color? I hope this one turns out!

And then I worry about the moms. Did they get enough nutrients? Are they growing fast enough? Too fast? Will I have enough pasture for everyone if its a drought?

Do I keep the girls that didn't work for me and use them in a crossbreeding program or do I sell them to others who might be just looking for that particular animal?

So many decisions, that I know we all must make. Some of us this is a hobby, to others its a way of life. Some keep the sheep for pets, some for fiber, some for income, some for meat. We all have different decisions and solutions for every scenario. I just need to make the ones I feel best suit me.

Wow where did this post come from?!!! Rambling thoughts from a cluttered mind......

3 comments:

Rayna said...

You took all the words out of my brain....Same thoughts that been goin through my head :)

Terri D. said...

Hey Garrett -- thanks for the ramblings... I have had the same thoughts also...probably fairly typical for most of us!

Juliann said...

Hi Garrett, hey everybody thinks this way. The way I see it, if a particular pairing doesn't work out, we can send the mistakes to market and try again next year. There will be disappointments, but that makes the successes so much more valuable.
I know some people really value predictability in their shetlands, but I think the experimentation and playing around with the genetics is half the fun!

Shetland Breeding Groups

Every year the long anticipated breeding groups always seem to catch me by surprise. Had it not been for my severely sprained ankle, I prob...